Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Vegetarian Fiesta Stuffed Peppers

Today, I did a few things that shocked myself...
1) I made stuffed peppers
2) I made the recipe up by myself!

Sadly, my mom forgot to photograph the evidence (I prepared them at lunchtime to be cooked later, since I worked til 7pm tonight), but you'll just have to imagine how awesome they looked. Here's the recipe!

Ingredients
6 bell peppers, any colour.

Filling:
6 servings of cooked brown or basmati rice (was about 1.5 cups dry)
1 small onion, diced
1 cup/ small can corn kernels
1 handful of fresh green beans (or one small can), chopped into 1-inch sections
1 packet of low sodium taco seasoning (alternatively, make a homemade version)
1 tbsp olive oil
feta cheese, to taste (optional, omit for a vegan version)

To prepare the filling, heat olive oil in pan and sautee the onion, adding in the beans after a minute or so. When heated, add corn, cooked rice, and taco seasoning. Mix well. Remove from heat and stir in the feta cheese.



To prepare the peppers, cut off the tops and remove seeds and membrane from the insides. Lay on a baking sheet on their sides, and place in the oven on a broil setting. Watch carefully, rotating every few minutes until all sides are blistered. Remove from oven, and place in a closed paper (or plastic, if you must!) bag, and allow to steam for about 15 minutes. When cooled, the skin will easily peel off.

Fill the peppers with the mixture and stand upright in a deep baking dish. Bake for 20 mins on 350 degrees.

So, my very first all-by-myself "real" recipe (i.e., not pan-frying vegetables over pasta or salad and calling it my own!). And, it wasn't that scary!!

Hope you enjoy!


Namaste,
Callah
article and personal photos copyright of Callah at callahyoga.blogspot.com