Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

the farmers market

I never really truly understood the fun and convenience of a farmers market until I was backpacking around New Zealand and Australia. One day, my friend and roommate introduced me to the wonder that is a farmers market. Fresh fruit and produce, and maybe even flowers sometimes... all local, and usually at a great price!
Now, I am not much of a cook so I never envisioned myself getting excited about buying food. This farmers market definitely changed my perspective, as I was always excited to use my locally grown produce to cook a meal. That's why I was so disappointed with my work schedule this summer. I work a lot of Saturdays (I'm a dental hygienist) since the job market is so crap I don't really have a choice. I'm not a morning person so I knew I wouldn't be getting up super early to hit the market before work.
But! I just discovered there is a farmers market but a few blocks away from where I work! The best part? It's open til 5pm! No excuses. I can't wait until it opens to start integrating more local ingredients into my (new!) crock-pot dinners. Yum!

Do you take advantage of your local farmers markets?

Namaste,
Callah